Friday, January 15, 2010

Chili with Chocolate

I always double my recipes because I like to cook and freez half for my "I don't wanna do anything" days. For a single meal cut measurements in half. Read recipe through before beginning.

2.5 lbs grounds beef
2 cups chopped onion
4-6 cloves garlic, minced, divided

Step 2
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained (original recipe)
Or
1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce (my way)

2 cans chili beans in mild or spicy sauce (originial recipe)
or
2 cans beans (kindey, pinto, black, or mixed) and 1 package chili seasoning or add your own spices (I add my own)
{quick side note: I like to cook from my pantry so I learn to substitute and make good with what I have on hand}

4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons grated semisweet baking chocolate (I use 54% cacao or higher I prefer 75% cacao)

Add last hour
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon talk
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I use jalapeno sauce)

1) Brown & scramble beef, onion and 2 cloves garlic in large skillet. Drain fat.
2) Transfer beef mixture to slow cooker. DO NOT use spices listed under "Add last hour" here. Add tomatoes, beans, chili powder, chocolate and remaining garlic. (Add tomato sauce and other spices if you used a substitute in Step 2 ingredients.) Mix well.
3) Cook on Low 5-6 hours. (Or in a hurry on high for 2 hours and low for 1 hour)
4) During last hour add cumin, salt, pepper and hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments!!!